Father's Day is an occasion to mark and celebrate the contribution that your own father has made to your life. Many people send or give cards or gifts to their fathers. Common Father's Day gifts include sports items or clothing, electronic gadgets, outdoor cooking supplies and tools for household maintenance.
Father's Day is a relatively modern holiday so different families have a range of traditions. These can range from a simple phone call or greetings card to large parties honoring all of the 'father' figures in a particular extended family. Father figures can include fathers, step-fathers, fathers-in-law, grandfathers and great-grandfathers and even other male relatives. In the days and weeks before Father's Day, many schools and Sunday schools help their pupils to prepare a handmade card or small gift for their fathers.
Father's Day is not a federal holiday. Organizations, businesses and stores are open or closed, just as they are on any other Sunday in the year. Public transit systems run to their normal Sunday schedules. Restaurants may be busier than usual, as some people take their fathers out for a treat.
Statistics And Trends
- Americans will spend a whopping $16 billion this year in the US alone
- The average person will spend $140 in restaurant spending for his family.
- Men on the average will spend $161, while women will spend $118.
- $52 million on cards and wraps.Gift cards accounted for $2.2 billion of spending giving dad the option to choose his perfect gift from his favorite store.
- Ringing in at the same $2.2 billion spending tag is clothing making it one of the top three gifts types most often purchased for dad on Father's Day
- Computer-related accessories and electronics account for $1.8 billion of spending dollars and range from phones to software, to t.v.s, and media devices.
- Both personal care items such as shavers and cologne as well as home improvement and gardening items both account for over $890 million each in purchases.
- Greeting cards earn retailers an estimated $860 million in revenue throughout the holiday weekend.
- Tools and appliances and sporting and leisure goods both have spending rates ofover $800 million.
- Automotive accessories, books, and CDs account for the bottom rungs of the top ten with over $650 millionin sales each.
( Source : National Retail Federation, USA)
Market Your Menu Judiciously
For you, the restaurateur, the following two basic facts will determine your business strategy:-
- Father's Day is always celebrated on a Sunday, a holiday, and hence you can anticipate a reasonably larger numbers of customers than a regular weekday. Expectedly, this would translate into larger volumes, more sales, and a lot more activity on your part.
- The age group 25-40 most likely to spend on their fathers, and there is a good chance they will bring in their mothers, children and extented family members as well. This would mean greater budget and greater spending than on usual days, which you, the restaurateur should capitalize on.
Further, you should plan in advance to give your restaurant the best on this occasion. After all,your customers would be looking forward to a great time of food, fun and entertainment.
The following are a few pointers :-
Beef Up Your Menu
- You should be blessed with this opportunity. Innovate your menu. Add new items. Spruce up the existing ones. Make a 35 oz steak and display it proudly.
- Give a Grill Demo outdoors of some of your meat dishes. Then invite them inside for a gourmet's treat the dads and their families would remember for a long time.
- Include a Father's Day Special / Exclusive menu for brunch, lunch and dinner. Offer complimentary gifts in the form of alcohol, dessert, or even a gift voucher.
Offering Freebies With A Price Tag
- Any restaurant can offer freebies at the cost of a healthy bottom line. But it takes good strategy to offer a freebie and yet be profitable. If you decide to serve a bottle of beer or a dessert free to older looking dads, then marking- up prices on the appetizers, entrees or the select meals makes more business sense. Keep in mind that in most cases you will have a family to feed!
- Devise a scheme whereby if the family orders food more than a threshold amount ,say $120, you may offer Gift items such as an elegant T-shirt, Golf Tees, a Trouser belt or a fancy scarf to the eldest man in the group. This way you make a win-win situation.
Conceiving A Live Event With A Special Buffet Menu
- As we know, live music along with a delectable food menu is a run-away success in any setting. You too can team-up with a local music band in your town.
- A perfect fit for Father's Day when dads along with their families would look forward to good food & entertainment - and be most happy to pay for it! A dance floor in-house along with an eclectic buffet spread would certainly make everyone's day.
Run A Contest For Dads. Build Up Excitement. Build Your Brand.
- As people on this day expect to be entertained, you as a restaurateur can run a contest say - on the best jokes on dads by their kids - and post the same on social media sites prior to Father's Day. The most liked and shared jokes will receive a $50 gift voucher which can be redeemed only at your restaurant.
- Follows from above, this is a great way for branding, as well as obtain new customers. And these customers, once inside your restaurant, will be willing to spend along with their families more than $50 on your delicious menu.
Make A Day Adventurous For Dads With Some Business For Yourself
- Particularly relevant for existing customers whose profile and contact details you already have. Present them with a package: A good massage at the nearby Spa, a movie in the afternoon, and a complimentary cocktail drink - all of the three offered free if the customer visits your restaurant with his family in the evening for dinner. For this, teaming - up with the local Spa and a movie theatre would help. Also, a great way for customer engagement.
Deploy Digital Signage Menu Board Effectively
- Design your menu suitably and display prominent items appropriately on the digital menu board. Devise catchy captions to entice the target audience.
- Run a fun event, live, by asking the children (even grown-ups) to pen a line on their father - and display the message on the digital signage screen in your restaurant.Use digital signage as a great motivating and entertaining tool.