A doughnut or donut is a type of fried dough confection or dessert food. The donut is popular in many countries and prepared in various forms as a sweet snack that can be homemade or purchased in bakeries, supermarkets, food stalls, and franchised specialty vendors.
The most common types of donuts are the ring donut, the filled donut and the donut holes. Each have their speciality. The ring and filled donuts are filled with fruit preservatives, cream or custard. The donut holes were traditionally made from dough taken from the center of ring donuts. Subsequently, these began to be marketed as a novelty with some marketers having brand names such as ‘Munchkins’ from Dunkin Donuts and ‘Timbits’ from Tim Hortons. Common varieties of filled donuts include the Boston cream, coconut, key lime and jelly.
How Is The Industry Trending in the US?
- Over the past five years, the Donut Stores industry has grown by 3.1%
- Expected revenue to reach revenue of $8.3bn in 2019.
- In the same timeframe, the number of businesses has grown by 3.3% (13,058 outlets)
- The number of employees has grown by 3.4% ( appprox 1.14 lakh employees).
- The Average American consumes 63 dozen donuts a year.
- Donuts are 85% gross profit business. Hence, the input costs are managable.
- Dunkin Donuts and Krespy Kreme are the two major donut companies
- Expansion of the market segments,ie, corporate purchases for employees /clients
( Sources : statista.com , National Retail Federation )
Donuts And The Digital Menu Board
- Digital signage menu boards are the best form of advertisement for Point-of-sale locations
- Many items can be displayed since the sizes of donuts are smaller in size and uniform.
- Many donut items along with coffee can be promoted as a combo package.
- Donut items can be given names for branding, with different pricing points.
- Video and playlists content can be run for enticing the target customers.
- Kids should also be allured by various types of entertainment display on the menu screens.
- Multi-location stores can be operated by a single admin for menu board updates.
- The cloud-based benefits ensure smooth running of the stores even from different locations